Peck High School Exhibit Opening
Saturday August 13th
Open to the public, 2pm to 5pm
516 S. 10th Street, Fernandina Beach, FL
Come join us as we celebrate the opening of a new permanent exhibit celebrating the legacy of Peck High School and its importance to the community.
Peck High School was built in 1927 as part of the Rosenwald Schools program which constructed approximately 5,000 schools in the South. It was named after William Henderson Peck, the school’s influential second principal and champion of African American education in Fernandina Beach.
The school closed in 1969 after desegregation and became vacant in 1976. In the 1980s, community activists including former students, historic preservationists, and local government officials joined forces to save the landmark. Today Peck Center is recognized as a significant component of African American heritage in Fernandina Beach.
The Historic Peck Center, A Rosenwald School Heritage Education Project (“Peck Exhibit”) was sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida, in collaboration with the City of Fernandina Beach, the Peck Alumni Association, and the Amelia Island Museum of History.
Nassau County Chamber of Commerce Blog
Chamber Member Updates, Events and News